Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 19, 2001 at 16:36:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Greg Crider on October 19, 2001 at 14:43:27:

I don't think ANYONE who commented has compared "apples to apples" except me.

Jay B. suggested that the Bach Megatone is unsuccessful. Well...

...(It looks like I'm trying to be a smartass, but) I would conjecture that the Bach Megatone vs. Bach "regular" is the ONLY (close to) "apples to apples" regular to heavy comparison that Jay has had an opportunity to make, and he was not impressed.

Two different "Hellebergs" can be vastly different in their success, with tiny INTERIOR differences that probably not visible. I don't think people can generally look down into shiny metal cone shapes and see minor (important) differences.

For instance, to me virtually all "Helleberg" style mouthpieces "suck" except the Marcinkiewicz ones, which I play. That's why I KNEW that if the mass made any difference, I would notice it. (I'm not so presumptuous as to imply that all of the other Hellebergs "suck" for other people...just for ME.)

Anyway, I stand by my statement: On mouthpieces interior dimensions ONLY matter. The mouthpiece is simply NOT a sound amplifying part of a musical instrument. Rather it is a signal GENERATING part. Think about it for a second: For the difference of a 1/4" thick (regular) or 1/2" thick (heavy) mouthpiece to actually be a perceptable factor in the sound, the 1/25" thick parts of the instrument (virtually all of the tubing and branches) would vibrate apart within a few minutes because the vibration would be so intense.

Follow Ups: