Re: Re: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on October 17, 2002 at 09:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down posted by Michael Eastep on October 16, 2002 at 21:47:14:

I agree with both of these professional performers in their comments about being able to support your finances with having the ability to work elsewhere.

Those of us who prefer to teach need to have the same backup plan.

I have taught for 16 years as well as performed in small regional symphonies and jazz venues. This year, I am in a position where I am not teaching full time. The ability to perform gigs, substitute teach, work at my police department, and operate my own lawn mowing service has kept me in the money making arena.

This is only possible because I diversified myself a little earlier in life. I went to one of the local police departments and hired on. I went through certification training during the summer months. I work when needed or when I can devote the time. I also learned the responsibilities of work and self reliance.

I'm not rich. Life is better when you can count on a larger consistent check. You have the ability to make money when you do as these professionals (whom I can be certain play better than I), have suggested.

BTW, it's never too late to do something if you put your mind to it. Wish you the best.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: