Re: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Eastep on October 16, 2002 at 21:47:14:

In Reply to: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down posted by AV on October 15, 2002 at 22:50:47:

I have no doubt that mine would be the first position to be dropped. As of this writing, though, the players of the Calgary Philharmonic have backed the position that they would entertain salary cuts across the board but will not accept a reduction in the size of the orchestra. I appreciate the sentiment, but it is hard to see to see how the funders are going to include a full-time position in the downgraded orchestra that will emerge from this restructuring period. This is a reality of life in smaller orchestras. Because of the large amount of orchestral music that does not involve the tuba, it is by nature one of the most expendable instruments when the going gets rough.
Although the situation is upsetting, I've got some musical thrills to remember from my 27 years here and in Winnipeg, some memories of two performances in Carnegie Hall and one each at the Musikverein and Boston Symphony Hall and I've got enough equity in my house to permit some degree of flexibility. Although I have no training for another career, I've been able to see this coming for long enough that I'm at least not devastated emotionally. This sort of situation is something that young players should be aware of as they choose their careers. If I had it to do over, I would make most of the same decisions, perhaps with the addition of some alternative training.

Michael Eastep, Principal Tuba, Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra

Follow Ups: