Re: Re: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on October 22, 2002 at 10:43:23:

In Reply to: Re: Calgary Philharmonic Shuts Down posted by Michael Eastep on October 16, 2002 at 21:47:14:

Whilst a highschool student (in the 1940's) I travelled all over US and Canada visiting tubists. Most were poorly paid and very depressed. Bill Bell told me that unless my parents were independantly wealthy I should look for a better career. I had the talent to be one of the great tubists but decided to spend my time making a good living first and enjoying the tuba second. One of the troubles in the US resides in the music schools. Not that it is the worst but consider Tennessee Tech where Winston Morris trains scores of Tennessee farm boys to play the tuba. When they embark on that path they have no idea of the market for tubists. There others who give handouts to highschool students saying if I can become a professional tubist so can you. Teachers should warn their students that only a hand full of good steady jobs exist for the long term. I guess that one who simply must be a musician needs to become a violist or a kontrabassists to be employed in the symphony.

The same thing happens to Ph. D. scientists and engineers on the West Coast. Some of them have gotten rich by starting lawn care services or taxi companies. Perhaps there is something you can do that will make lots of money and allow you to also play the tuba!
Best of Luck!

Follow Ups: