Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What music degrees lack?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by eric on October 19, 2002 at 10:47:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What music degrees lack? posted by no ascetic here on October 18, 2002 at 18:54:04:

I must admit, I'm torn here in this arguement. I am at school on a full musicology scholarship. My degree does adequately train me for what I want to do, teach musicology. I am lucky enough to go to Vanderbilt UNiversity in Music City USA, where musicians and teachers know all to well about failed musicians. There are specific classes here, one taught by Jim Fogelsong (former director of Capital Records) entitled music business, these might fit the description of what your looking for. Furthermore, Belmont University just up the drive has an enitre school of music busniess.

But for you all to tear apart programs with out individual investigation is not the best idea. Sure, there are musicians that graduate with no common sense, and there are busness majors that graduate with no common sense and history majors and engineering majors too. For that matter, let's add law school and medical school. If you are looking for bad examples of educational product, society if rife, but why not examine the far greater number of productive music grads. Ned Gleen has a Ph.D. in musicology here in Nashville, and he has been a computer program designer for quite some time. He contributes and makes a living etc...

We can blame all of these problems on the wealthy, or on society as a whole, but, I think that individual failures are individual responsibilities. If you graduate with a music degree and then still don't know how to show up on time and keep a contract, that's not the Blair school's fault, it's yours. Plain and simple.

Let's put the blame where it's due.

Eric

Follow Ups: