Re: Re: VHS sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2002 at 21:40:51:

In Reply to: Re: VHS sound posted by Steve Dedman on October 23, 2002 at 10:54:47:

Steve, I'll agree with you when is plain ole VHS, with linear stereo tracks. But with Hi-Fi VHS, the sound is recorded on the scanned tracks along with video, at very high bandwidth and with very high tape-head speed. I found the quality to be superior to another analog medium, if you can get the good signal into it.

Hi-8 also uses depth multiplexing, but VHS-C does not, near as I can tell. As for Beta, the advantages to Beta were in the video section, not the audio section (at least compared with VHS that included Hi-Fi).

Nowadays, you can record on a digital camcorder, edit it on computer, and distribute it on DVD, with CD-quality digital sound. But you'll still have to use good microphones placed properly, with levels set properly, to get good sound.

I have a Hi-8 camcorder, which seems to me the pinnacle of portable analog video recording, as far as the picture is concerned, except that it seems a bit oversharpened. I've never attempted to record audiofile-quality sound on it.

Rick "who seemed to get what sounded like 70-80 dB S/N on Hi-Fi VHS" Denney

Follow Ups: