Re: Conductor vs. Musician salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on October 25, 2002 at 10:03:12:

In Reply to: Conductor vs. Musician salaries posted by Tom C. on October 24, 2002 at 13:58:50:

I think the comment about schmoozing was probably the most "on." In order to get hired as a conductor at any salary, one has to be a very, very good politician. Notice I did not say musician. I don't think the orchestra, in most cases, hires the conductor, although they are probably allowed feedback. The conductor has to put together programs to bring in audiences, has to put on a good show for the audience, and that is a politics job. The conductor may also be a fine musician, but it is not required. Most people in the audiences are not musicians; they are there for the show. In Tucson, I rememeber a few years ago we had Carlos Nagai come in and do a concert with the orchestra. The house was packed!! There are always numerous empty seats at a "regular" classical concert. I'm not fond of this situation but there it is. I'm also not fond of being expected to play for free in community groups while the incompetent conductor who doesn't have a clue about how to rehearse, who has a beat that is indecipherable, gets paid to strut around and act important. But he's the one who got hired and I'm stuck with him.

Follow Ups: