Re: ophicleide

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 27, 2002 at 16:42:48:

In Reply to: ophicleide posted by dneaevp on October 27, 2002 at 14:05:54:

Here's a link to a site with some photos and some more information. The ophicleide was one step in the evolution of what we know as a tuba today. Before the ophicleide, the serpent was the lowest wind instrument voice. Keyed bugles were used for soprano parts around the same time as the ophicleide was invented. They were replaced by cornets and trumpets once valves were invented, just as tubas pretty much made ophicleides obsolete, even though there is renewed interest in them today. This replacement wasn't instantaneous. Ophicleides continued to be regular production instruments into the early 20th century.

Music is generally written for the instrumentation that is available at the time. There has been much discussion about what are the appropriate instruments to use for a particular piece, but in my opinion it's perfectly fine to use a modern instrument in place of what may have been historically available. Just because a piece called for ophicleide when it was written doesn't mean that it must be played on one today. I believe that the vast majority of music that was originally written for ophicleide is played on tuba today. I don't think that professional orchestras use ophicleides for anything, unless it is for a period re-enactment. This may change the original sound, but that's usually a good thing.

Follow Ups: