Re: Eb fingerings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on October 28, 2002 at 09:21:59:

In Reply to: Eb fingerings posted by Beau on October 27, 2002 at 09:54:10:

This probably won't help a bit -

But, I started on trumpet (in the about 1950) and later the band needed bass players. In those days it was normal to go from trumpet to Eb because the fingerings are the same for a given position on the staff when you move from treble to bass clef. In other words an F on the first space in treble for a Bb trumpet is the 1st valve. If you don't recognize the first three flats in the key signature on bass clef, the A flat is also 1st valve on the Eb. If the A is a natural you play it as if it were a F# on the trumpet or 2nd valve.

Sounds terrible, in in practice was an easy way to learn. If you never player trumpet or cornet it wouldn't be any help. The Eb baritone sax and a tuba can use the same music in the same manner. Some music is actually written with both clef signs and the addition or subtraction of sharps or flats in the key signature to be used by both instruments.

I guess high schools don't use Eb tubas as they did back then, so the kids transition differently today. In those days there were probably as many (or more) Eb sousaphones than there were BBb's in the high schools.

I know, more useless info for idle minds!!!

Follow Ups: