Re: Brass band tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on October 30, 2002 at 15:02:59:

In Reply to: Brass band tubas posted by Drew on October 30, 2002 at 13:29:15:

It sorta depends on what type of tuba you are looking for. If you like Bessons you would probably like a Yamaha - they are copies of Bessons, except my experience has been that they are much less stuffy than the Bessons. The Weril from Brazil is also a copy of the Besson. I have never played one. A lot of the folks on here like the new King, and it is a nice horn with a big tone.

I personally use a Mirafone 1270 for small groups and a Conn 20J for most everything else. The little Mirafone has a big tone for a small horn, and the big Conn has about as big an American style tone as you can find. The 1270 and the 2XJ Conns are only available used/rebuilt, but do cost quite a bit less than new horns.

If you live near Dillon's or Baltimore Brass, you would want to go and try some of the horns. Also, if near South Dakota you could see and probably try horns at Taylor Music (1800usaband.com). Certainly more dealers are located on the west coast when you could try some.

There are very knowledgable folks who post on this website that can likely give you other leads. But it is certainly best to try a few before you buy.

Follow Ups: