Re: Re: Brass band tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TT on November 04, 2002 at 18:57:13:

In Reply to: Re: Brass band tubas posted by Frank on October 30, 2002 at 15:02:59:

The Yamaha YBB-631, which is Yamaha's good ("pro") BBb Brass Band tuba, is not quite a copy of the Besson Sovereign. There are some design elements which are different, among them a rather smallish bell (17,5" diameter). As the metal is thinner, it is a rather lightweight horn (_much_ lighter than the Sovereign), and therefore also less "stuffy". This, in my experience, will not allow you play as loud as you could on a Sovereign while maintaining the "fat" sound (anything louder than a good ff needs extreme control). Of course, this may also have something to do with my playing abilities, but I know several other players who have the same experience with Yamaha tubas. As the BBb tuba players in a brass band's main task is to shift huge amounts of air through the instrument, this may be considered a drawback.

But there is Yamaha and then there is Yamaha. For some reason, their silver plated horns are much better sounding (more like a Sovereign) and easier to play than their laquered ones. I currently play a YBB-631S because I have to, and it works well for me.

Perhaps you should take a look at Courtois as well? Good horns, but not necessarily reasonably priced.

My $0.02

TT

Follow Ups: