Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GP on October 31, 2002 at 12:39:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Vibrato on Euphonium ... Comments please posted by Mark F. on October 30, 2002 at 23:57:12:

I think that a flute (note the word "I" and "think" - as in this is just my opinion and it means absolutely nothing to anyone but me) vibrato on euphonium or tuba would sound awful. I believe that the best sound on euphonium or tuba comes from a strong steady flow of air blown through a strong, well developed, well focused embouchure. The vibrato is something that colors the sound, enhances it as well. Why would I want to use a technique that hinders the sound somewhat while at the same time enhancing it?

I disagree with your assesment that a diaphlegm vibrato is the most natural sounding, but as I do, I respect your opinion and will listen more to notice what players are using, what sounds good/bad, and I might alter my opinion at some time. That being said, my experience thus far has given me my opinion.

I personally think many flute players sound awful with their vibratos... and I am making a large generalization there. Same with singers. I think we are in a unique position as brass players in that we get to choose which we want and which we like better! Singers can't. Flute players, well, I don't think they can. It wouldn't be practical to roll the damn flute to get a vibrato.

So, as a teacher, you might choose one style or the other (depending on what you know best) and teach that style. Are you a weenie because you chose one over the other because it's easier to teach? Not at all. You teach from your experience.

Respectfully,

Gary

Follow Ups: