Re: Drilling out the ol' backbore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on October 09, 2003 at 15:46:27:

In Reply to: Drilling out the ol' backbore posted by Brandon Ostrom on October 09, 2003 at 15:13:34:

First I would buy an extra mouthpiece before begining any custom mouthpiece modifications. You never know if the changes will be for the better. Second, consider having a custom mouthpiece shop do it for you. They already have the tools and will give good advice if you tell them what general direction you want to go. A lot of factors affect how a mpc plays, and by going to extremes on just one of them could result in a mouthpiece that you may not like. I had Schilke bore out the throats of a couple of the backbores for a couple of my Doug Elliot bass bone mouthpieces and was very pleased with the results. It usually costs less do bore out the throat or backbore than a have a custom mouthpiece made. If you really want to do it yourself the mouthpiece must be centered to the drill bit. Get the right tools. You might drill one size at a time and play test for improvment. Also if you want less "blowback" in loud low playing you could buy a reamer and open up the backbore. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Follow Ups: