Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on October 15, 2003 at 09:16:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas? posted by Chuck(G) on October 09, 2003 at 10:56:16:

The "Handcraft" models are preferable to later ones. They don't "break up" when pushed for more volume of sound. I've played both, and you can measure them, and weigh them, and find no apparent difference. The Martins with "Handcraft" engraved in deco fashion diagonally across the back of the bell are best.

The Martin blows the Conn 24J out of the water, insofar as core of sound is considered. Those oval ports might shorten the valve stroke, but they kill off projection, in my humble, but correct opinion. The Martin valves are LIGHT, which actually makes them quicker. That used to help me on the circus with the galops and fast marches. Plus, the top action setup made it easier to turn all those pages.

The Martin is superior to the Hotlon, Cerveny, and other BATs in regard to efficiency of air consumption. Those other horns suck the life out of you, where the Martins PUT OUT. I've had musicians walk back to the section just to see what was making that big sound. The Martin is an exceptional instrument.

Unfortunately, LeBlanc owns the tooling and designs for these horns, and they won't be coming back again, as far as I know. They're worth fixing up, and Feree's has many of the replacement parts (valve caps, etc.) for them.

BTW, the DEG tuba stand works great with my Martin (room for both the horn and my bay window has become a problem in recent years). Plus, those folding chairs are horrible.

mark Heter

Follow Ups: