Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Scott on October 16, 2003 at 18:50:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BBb tubas? posted by Mark Heter on October 15, 2003 at 09:16:46:

The only difference which may be significant between pre and post WWII Martins may be metal composition. I had a tiny piece of a 1936 Martin Handcraft analyzed at a metal foundry and found it was about 80% coppper (a formula called "low brass"-really, no kidding!). I have been told that post WWII horns were made from "cartridge brass" which is closer to 70% copper-supposedly due to so much production of this metal during the war. I am told that the "low brass" formula of brass is basically not made today-most brass instruments are still made from "cartridge brass". I've been told that "rose brass" has a slightly different composition than "low brass".
I also tend to believe that the horns were built more carefully in the thirties when labor was readily available and cheaper. It is possible that they were more or less built to order on an as needed basis as there were fewer big orders (schools, military, etc) during the depression. Whatever the cause, I've always found the older horns play sweetest and I agree with all of Marks' comments. The only thing I've found is that the stock Martin valve stems are usually a bit too short-perhaps they were trying to cheat a little bit to compete with Conns' short-action valves! Other than that, these horns are works of art. Martins and Yorks have a connection in that one of the Martin brothers worked for a time in the York factory. I've tried to find more information but little is available. I have a York recording bell BBb that is very similar to the Martin and even the serial # series is nearly identical by year. All that remains at LeBlanc in terms of documentation is (according to them) a single notebook with serial #s in it. Everything else was discarded during various mergers-a real shame as Martin was also a #1 maker of fine saxophones too. I have also heard that they still have the mandrels and tooling for the big horns, but I suppose the cost of making these would be astronomical today. They weren't cheap then, with a Martin Mammoth going for 350.00 and up in the 1930s.
A long post for me, but I really love those Martins.

Follow Ups: