Re: Re: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 11, 2000 at 19:55:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin posted by concerned on September 11, 2000 at 16:50:09:

Concerned,

I don't evny you your bitterness towards unionism. From what you wrote in your post, it sounds like that bitterness is eating you up inside. I also don't respect your ethics in posting such a hostile viewpoint without the courage to assign your name to your comments. In any event, you also write some things that lead me to believe that there are elements of the whole union/management relationship that escape you. I would point out a few things:

There is no nationwide strike mentality, at least none that I'm aware of and I've been in the business for 15 years. There is, however, a nationwide union-busting attempt. It is being organized by an organization called ASOL (American Symphony Orchestra League). At ASOL's meetings, topics discussed include ways to disband orchestras and reform them, to avoid fulfilling current contractual obligations. This is not paranoia but documented fact.

I can and will tell you that the "protections" offered players by the union are a good thing. A very good thing. You state that you can't grow a business without an ever improving product. Do you really believe this? What role does marketing play in all this? How would you compare the quality of the typical pizza delivery food to what it was 20 years ago? (hint: it hasn't changed for the better, it has just gotten easier and, wherever possible, cheaper to produce).

Regardless, those "lack-luster" players you speak of were put through the ringer (by the management) after their audition and after a period of probation were given tenure. At anytime during that procedure, management could have decided that these players were not good enough to get tenure. But they got it anyway. That means that the management thought these players were, at the very least, pretty good at some point. In reality, conductors desire the control to hire and fire anybody at any time, as their whims see fit. It is nothing more than a child who plays with a toy for a time and then wants another toy, discarding the first. It is not right to build a great institution on the backs of those who were there early in the process only to exclude them from the "good times" because the management felt that they could get someone better. My opinion is that the player has to at least maintain their level of expertise to warrant continued employment. After all, its hard enough to get a job in the first place and the audition process weeds out those not qualified. The tenure and probation process ensures that the player can produce on a consistent basis over time.

Please do not lecture us about the efficiency of management. Management couldn't care less about wasted dollars, they just want what they want. Period. For example, we had a concertmaster here who was tired of the work involved with the job. He approached management about negotiating a way to move himself back into the section and take a lessor workload. Management jumped at the opportunity because the conductor had wanted a new concertmaster for a while. They negotiated a deal and we hired a new concertmaster. Two years later, management broke that agreement and tried to cheat the player out of thousands of dollars. The union and the player took the management to court and won in an arbitration. What was management's response? They assigned the player to 48 services (out of 225) for this season while still paying the full salary to the player. Why? Because the conductor didn't like the player. Management called this "an artistic decision". And then they came to the table and told us they had no money for real wages.

What your whole assessment of our industry doesn't take into account is that we are making art. This is a completely subjective product. What one conductor loves, another may hate. Neither is necessarily right nor wrong. I don't find it offensive to band together in an attempt not to be subjected to that kind of hypocritical review process. That seems just like common sense to me.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: