Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seattle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 12, 2000 at 10:00:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seattle posted by Ike H. on September 11, 2000 at 22:48:50:

Two of your points cry out for response:

o I don't NEED to pay the musicians, they already GOT paid when they recorded the music. The operating system and browser code you are running on your computer as you read this were written by people who got paid a salary for writing the code, and get NO 'back-end' payments. So I guess you won't be using THAT software anymore, will you? And the clothes you're wearing -- do you send the seamstress a check every time you wear them? And surely you send all the auto workers who worked on your car a check every time you use it to get to a paying gig. You don't? You say you paid for the products, and they are yours now? So why are musicians so damn different than the rest of us?

o If it bothers YOU to "[pay] no money to your musician colleagues", send a check to the orchestra. Besides, what do you care about them? They're not even union! They're scabs! So send the money to me! I usually get no pay AT ALL when I play. Poor me.

Do you ever eat in a fast-food restaurant? Shop at Walmart? If so, you're just making financial decisions that are your right; but in each case, you are also depriving some more highly paid person of your dollars, whether it's a waiter at Chez Stuffy or an appliance salesman at Goldenfan Appliances. It's competition that gives you a burger, fries and a coke for $3.29 or a vacuum cleaner for 89.95. Well, if you get to take advantage of a free market, why do you begrudge movie-makers the right to do likewise?

Follow Ups: