Re: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 13, 2000 at 13:30:20:

In Reply to: Re: Strike Votes _vs_ mgmt -vs- union-bustin posted by Frank Rosenau on September 12, 2000 at 01:40:49:

Your point is well made, but consider the (many) contractor engineers: no company paid insurance, no 401K match, no paid vacation, no lots of other stuff. And, in the free market, we get to choose whether or not we want to pursue such a path. I, at this stage of my life do not. Others do.

Suppose one of those paths was being a musician in a non-union world. IF (and I don't assume this would happen without other mechanisms) you could be certain that everyone would abide by agreements they make, we would find that a) the very best would be hired for pretty much whatever they ask, and b) the very good would compete in a bidding war (this is called a 'marketplace' to non-union folks) to see who could provide the best value for the money. It MIGHT be that the regional orchestras would not be willing to pay "a living wage". I don't know. They should be the ones who get to decide what level of quality they are willing to pay for (it should be obvious to anyone that if your musicians are selling shoes 8 hours a day they will not be as good of musicians). If they are not willing to match current salaries, then the wages would fall, and many fine musicians would be forced to make playing their second income (no, that brings me no joy). But as it gets less expensive to HAVE an orchestra, more communities would be willing to support them. More people could afford to attend them. The increase in interest would increase demand, demand for the product would increase the demand for first-rate orchestras, so more orchestras would be trying to attract world-class talent, and would bid up the pay for the best 'X' musicians. Now, the tough question: how many orchestras, and how many musicians are there in 'X'? I don't know. Maybe more than now? Maybe. Maybe less than now? Maybe. Now, how many musicians would be able to play in orchestras of one sort or another? More than now? Yes! And how many people could afford to be exposed to the music? More than now? Definitely!

Joe "Not expecting to change the world" Baker

Follow Ups: