Re: Re: Slides won't...SLIDE!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 20, 2000 at 00:40:47:

In Reply to: Re: Slides won't...SLIDE!!! posted by Ed on September 19, 2000 at 23:41:53:

WHOOOOAAAA there Ed.

Let's find out for sure what is wrong first.

First, insert each side of each slide INDIVIDUALLY and see if they slide up and down freely one tube at a time. If they DO slide freely one tube at a time, you may have an alignment problem. (Miraphone nor anyone else makes everything perfectly...Take the HB that I used to own, for example...Oh well)

If you find that the tubes are all working well individually, you can take it right over to a REALLY good (not "music store") repairman to have the outside slide alignment remedied AND the inside slide alignments matched to them. Don't expect this to be cheap.

If you would like to "see for yourself" that the alignment is indeed off, you can buy a cheap ($15 or so) set of stainless steel 6" dial calipers from Enco Tools. They have 800 # and are also online. Since you need to ask questions, I would recommend the 800 #. If you follow through with this and buy some Chinese stainless steel 6" dial calipers (thousands-of-an-inch readout or metric), you can actually MEASURE the distances between the outside slide tubes at one end and then at the other. If there is more than a five thousandths of an inch (.005") discrepancy, your slides will BIND, even if the tubes fit nicely individually. If the discrepancy is .020" or more, they will REALLY bind badly.

I probably gave too much information, but let's not cut down tubes with steel wool (There are actually much nicer and smoother ways of taking material away from slide tubes.) until you are sure what the problem is.

No offense Ed. I can tell that you are a good guy and that you mean well. SUPER fine steel wool, particularly if shaded with Brasso or something, is probably OK to remove material IF INDEED IT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Follow Ups: