Re: travelin' tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on September 02, 2001 at 17:28:04:

In Reply to: travelin' tuba posted by paranoid on September 02, 2001 at 14:27:21:

The horn is in your control the whole time, so you just have to be careful.

With no where to store my horn other than my apartment, I've had to bring it with me back and forth for every rehearsal, concert, lesson, etc for the last year or so, with nothing to protect it but a "Brasswind" Gig Bag(about as cheap as they come). I've not had as much as a scratch on my horn(including the time I got rear-ended and my horn was in the trunk). My horn is a 3/4 CC, and I'm sure frequent transportation becomes more tricky and more risky the larger your horn gets, but in this situation you're in control-- you don't have to worry about a bus-boy or a baggage handler roughing up your horn.

As for where to put it, my personal opinion is that the trunk is the best place for your horn, provided there are no loose tire irons or car batteries floating around in there(or anything else that could potentially damage your horn). Next best place would be the back seat. The passenger seat (and if you've ever watched those insurance-company-collision-tests on Dateline you'll agree with me) I'd think would be the most dangerous.

and just to be safe, I'd have the instrument insured.

my $.02

Anthony

Follow Ups: