Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 03, 2001 at 17:28:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 03, 2001 at 12:38:36:

In my opinion, no. Believe me, I do understand their position. Special order instruments should be a different situation. I would assert that my case was not a custom order per say. I guess in my mind, if they had to fabricate special parts or do something other than what they would normally do to produce the instrument, then you could make the case that the horn was somehow unmarketable if I didn't purchase it. The reason I don't feel that this is the case in my situation is because I was led to believe that the parts already existed for this instrument. Like I posted, the bell section of an Eb cimbasso and the valve section of an F cimbasso, both are components they normally produce. I guess it all depends on how you define a special order instrument. Let me give you another example. Would you say that the Conn 52J/56J is a custom instrument? All those parts were in production before Matt Walters did his magic in coming up with a different design, using those parts. In my mind, a custom order would entail me making various part(s) of the instrument from scratch, said part(s) not being obtainable from stock. Then again, I don't own or run a manufacturing company so I wouldn't say I'm qualified to speak definitively on what constitutes custom made. This is just my opinion on the subject. Since my incident, I've had three different conversations with other professional players who relayed similar stories involving various manufacturers. In all cases, I was told that the "take it or leave it" approach to marketing was pretty standard among manufacturers. While I'm not losing sleep at night over this issue, I am a bit concerned with this policy. Taken only a few steps further, it could result in lack of access to these manufacturers' products which is something that would hurt all of us. This knowledge also gives me a new-found respect for tuba retailers. Can you imagine running a business that sells a product that you KNOW varies from unit to unit, enough so that some units will be considered "dogs" and be unmarketable, and yet when you buy these products from the manufacturer, you're stuck with what they send unless you can PROVE mechanical defect in workmanship? I can tell you, that is one business I'm staying well away from!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: