Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 05, 2001 at 09:10:20:

In Reply to: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2. posted by Tom T. on September 04, 2001 at 19:17:02:

While my personal preference would probably lean towards the King, I don't really think you can go wrong either way. If you are considering a VMI, then don't forget that the Schmidt horns offered by Brook Mays (Charlie Krause) are identical instruments, just with a different label to get around exclusive marketing deals.

I also think that the King might preserve its value a bit better, since it is already a used instrument at used instrument prices.

The downside to the King is the large, removable bell. That arrangement adds weight and complexity when you buy a case (the King cases come in two parts--one for the body and another for the bell--which is a real inconvenience). But it will fit in a Reunion Blues bag designed for the big orchestral horns, though that will not provide the same level of protection.

Neither horn will present any learning obstacles to your son.

So, for someone in your shoes it seems to me a toss-up, and I'd be inclined to get the horn that causes your son to salivate. That will be the horn that will motivate him to practice, which will make a much bigger difference than the subtle differences between these two horns.

Rick "who thinks a hot-blooded response is a valid consideration--in balance" Denney

Follow Ups: