Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seating Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RD on September 06, 2001 at 14:36:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seating Question posted by Carl on September 06, 2001 at 13:18:17:

Thanks for the details. In fact, most of those details are already present in this discussion thread, though not cited or presented as clearly as you do. I don't have that article, or the thesis. What was the citation for the statement that Berlioz was reluctant when he changed the ophicleide parts to tuba parts in 1850?

As to what practical tuba players are supposed to do, everything you said seems to me to line up with what others have said (even Steve--when he added his qualifications): We start with an accurate sound concept, and do what we must do with the instruments we have to remain as true as possible to that concept.

Who brought up the French C tuba? I didn't, though it and the euphonium both might provide a reasonable means of wattage control. The discussion of the French C tuba centered around the Bydlo that was mentioned by one poster. What do you think of using a euphonium to get a lighter sound?

Do you think that Berlioz might have continued to score for ophicleides because that was all that was available to him in French orchestras throughout his life? I agree that this is not an over-riding argument, because he still chose what he chose. But it does add importance to the citation showing clearly that Berlioz PREFERRED the ophicleide, which is not proven merely by his use of it. He was a practical composer. But I have read of his desire to build orchestras with 400 musicians--as impractical in his day as in ours--but that seems to demonstrate a huge sound concept in his head.

But don't take this as any real disagreement what what you propose as a practical approach. The reason I challenged you on this is because you, as an orchestra professional, have had to solve this problem yourself in performance, but I don't recall hearing you mention an ophicleide in your arsenal. I was curious at the boundaries of compromise that would prevent "despair and death."

Rick "in agreement but still curious" Denney

Follow Ups: