Re: Willson Eflat mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 10, 2001 at 10:09:08:

In Reply to: Willson Eflat mouthpiece posted by SteveC on September 09, 2001 at 15:24:33:

I just went through a series of experiments trying to find a good mouthpiece(s) for my 3400S. I've come up with three that really work well, depending on what kind of sound I'm going for:

Laskey 30F - This is my main mouthpiece right now on this horn. It is a fairly large mouthpiece, not quite as big as the 30H that I use on my Nirschl, but makes a very big sound on the 3400S. Intonation is pretty good with this setup, the only problems for me being the A and Bb on top of the bass clef staff. Both ride a bit sharp.

Dillon PS3 - I use this mouthpiece for in between kinds of pieces, those that require a bit lighter sound but some occasional size. For example, Midsummersnight's Dream. The sound is a bit more compact than with the 30F but it still can accept much volume. All around, this is a good middle of the road choice. Intonation is almost as good as on the 30F, the only problem is the A and Bb on top of the bass clef staff, this time being a bit higher even than with the 30F. Not unworkable but definitely more of a concern.

PT 8S - This is an older mouthpiece that I don't believe is made anymore, from the older numbering system. This mouthpiece is very small but it works surprisingly well in the 3400S. This is a really great Berlioz mouthpiece, allowing even as big a horn as the 3400S an easy double Bb at the end of the run in the 5th movement of Fantastique. The sound can be very light if you want it to be with this mouthpiece and the upper range just sings. The low range with this combo can sound a little honky but if you don't really push hard, it's still okay. Intonation is still okay as well, about the same as with the 30F.

I have also used many other mouthpieces with this horn. I spoke with Marty Ericksen about finding mouthpieces and he suggested his ME1. I tried it out but I found it a little too big for my tastes. I used to use a Conn-Helleberg 7B on the 3400S as well and found it to be very effective. My only problems with that mouthpiece were it felt a little small in diameter for me and I seemed to have more than the normal amount of pitch problems. That could just be me though. What I learned in evaluating mouthpieces with the 3400S is that you really have to key into the intonation on the A and Bb I've mentioned earlier. These are the two problem notes on the 3400S and they are a good indication of the general quality of intonation a given mouthpiece brings to the horn. Generally, if those two notes were really out of whack, there were other problems as well.

Good luck with your search!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: