Re: Re: Re: Chris Kratt sousas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 13, 2001 at 09:20:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Chris Kratt sousas posted by Briefer link on September 13, 2001 at 05:45:19:

Thanks for the more direct link! I do not know how to use picture hosting facilities.

A few more comments on the main topic in relation to your posting:

It is true, that experience makes it fairly easy to see, whether a certain valve cluster belongs to a BBb or an Eb instrument. However some players do not confide in their own eyes. Hence my rules of thumb.

I actually am glad, that I did not mention the one I often use on partial pictures: Only BBb sousas have 2 knuckles on top of the 3rd valve tubing. As it can be seen from your pic of the Weril Eb, this instrument also has 2 knuckles at that place. So my rule does not hold up in all cases.

And then there is this odd and rare instrument, which "formally" also fits my first description of the most common Eb sousa shapes: the Bb tenor sousa.

In words I only can say, that this instrument has even more fake tubing and bracing in the shoulder area. For pictures, that might disappear without notice, you can follow the link. (Privately I have saved them to my own disk for reasons of their rarity).

Klaus

Follow Ups: