Re: "branded" elementary music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k (long answer) on September 02, 2002 at 09:59:31:

In Reply to: "branded" elementary music posted by js on September 02, 2002 at 02:33:20:

First a disclaimer. I am not an elementary classroom teacher. I teach instrumental lessons in elementary school. The Orff and Kodaly methods of teaching music are more for the classroom setting, and like anything else they have their strengths and weaknesses. From my very limited exposure to both I will try to explain them a bit. Someone please correct me if I am off base (which is very possible). Both approaches are "performance" oriented. Orff is a very rhythmic approach and uses many classroom instruments such as drums, rhythm sticks, and keyboard percussion instruments. Now obviously in an elementary classroom setting where you have a varied group of students, you are not going to be able to teach the finer points of instrumental techniqe and performance practice, etc. The main objective of this approach is to get kids "performing" and having fun with it and hopefully learning some of the elements of music. Also it is an effective way in order to keep their interest in class and perhaps get them interested in playing a "real" instrument in the future.
The Suzuki name brand is used for these same types of instruments but do not really exemplify the "Suzuki" method. It is basically just another brand of instruments.
I doubt there are too many schools using true Suzuki methods in their instrumental curriculum due to the high parental cooperation involved in the "true" Suzuki methodology. When kids do Suzuki they are to be doing with a parent also.

Again I do not see anything inherently wrong with these methods and it can be very effective. And keep in mind these tools are geared to very young kids with limited motor skills and also when you have a class of 25 kids you will most likely have the full spectrum of abilites from Gifted to Challenged mixed in.

There is also a really cool curriculum designed by Yamaha called "Muisc in Education" which is a technology based "performance" curriculum using a computer controlled keyboard lab. But it is not intended to be used as a traditional keyboard lab where you emphasize proper hand position and technique, etc. but rather an interesting and modern way us gear music education to kids. Again we are not talking performance in the traditional sense such as a band or orchestra but performance as in a classroom setting.

The problem with any of these methods is there are shortcoming in all of them and I think the best thing to do is take aspects of all and use them to your advantage rather than be strictly ties to one.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Hopefully I helped clear up some points.
ken k

Follow Ups: