Re: In Defense of HS Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by An. on September 03, 2002 at 20:36:52:

In Reply to: In Defense of HS Teachers posted by Chuck Jackson on September 03, 2002 at 17:57:08:

Here's an idea that's sure to get flamed...

Smaller class sizes are not going to improve education. If a large class size hindered a student from learning, then why do colleges still have huge classes held in auditoriums? (And don't say "So the students wont pass so the college can make more money when they retake the class." If a student fails classes, they will be dismissed from the school, and the college will then LOOSE money.)

Our education system will only improve when the atmosphere in the classroom changes. For example, I had the opportunity to observe a high school French I class; the teacher could barely teach the class because a few girls kept disrupting her. When the teacher sent the students to the office, the dean sent them back directly back to class where they continued to disrupt class. Students who do not value education -- and do not value the rights of OTHER students to recieve an educaiton -- do not deserve to stay in school.

Everyone should have a chance to recieve a free education. But, if a student disrupts class/doesn't follow the rules, they should be dismissed from the education system. (Of course details would have to be worked out! Please don't flame because I didn't provide any, as this is just my thought.) This is the only REAL way, I believe, that our education system will get better. Perhaps this would in itself teach responsibility.

Follow Ups: