Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by View on September 09, 2002 at 07:49:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by Doug on September 09, 2002 at 00:01:26:

Because sex is a natural act, that is required for the continuation of the species, while heroin is not required for anything. There are major differences. For that matter why are tobacco and alchohol legal, while drugs are not? Even so, we still teach that they are bad for you and that they should be avoided.

No matter what your belief, creation is a religiously based perspective. It is based on writings that are religious in origin. It doesn't belong in a public school. I am amused by those who bring up this evolution vs. creation argument as proof of the decadence of our public schools. The "theory" of evolution is such a minor part of scientific education that it would be missed if it weren't such a hot spot with some religious groups. I have seen my children's text books and, at least where I've lived, which is several states, it has been a minor theory taught as one possible explanation for the origin of various species.

And, by the way, evolution doesn't deny a creator. Maybe what we are observing as evolution is the way G-d created things. Maybe he set the initial pattern and made creatures change to gradually meet his final design. After all, 6 days isn't necessarily the same as what we consider 6 days today. Nowhere in public school do they say that there is no G-d, and what they teach doesn't preclude his existence.

All that said, what we need is more tuba education in public schools. The main problem with public education is that they don't spend enough time teaching that the tuba is a noble instrument.

Follow Ups: