Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on September 09, 2002 at 09:44:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by View on September 09, 2002 at 07:49:00:

Well, you got that last part right ;-)

That evolution denies a creator is only par tof the problem. To argue that God could have used evolution brings religion into the argument anyway, so let's get the faith correct if we are going to use it. To use the "science of evolution" to reinterpret a Holy Text (Bible or otherwise), is to put "science" above God. This is a religious proposition, no matter how secular you try to make it sound.

The whole problem with evolution is that is is scientifically balderdash. There are too many questions, and not enough truths, for you to justify teaching it as even a "theory." I would be interested to know what school system and state you are in, becuase the majority of textbooks i have been exposed to are blatant in their forceful presentation of evolution, even steeping to use currently invalidated experiments to "prove" their allegations.

The overall mess that we are in is that science is supposed to be objective, and yet most courses on evolution stray wildly from this rule. From your statements it is obvious you too have not seen an objective presentation of the facts in the case. Your statement about "6 days" displays an (understandable) ignorance of the meaning of the ancient Hebrew language, as well as a misunderstanding of what is naturally and supernaturally possible within short time-spans.

Not teaching such a rigid, dogmatic view of evolution would be beneficial to students. We sit here and type away, expressing how students should be critical thinkers, and yet some instist evolution be accepted without question because it is "science" or "modern" or "non-religious." I am impressed that your school system is a open as you say it is about the issue, yet while you say it is taught as "one explanation," I am now curious as to the other explanations that are presented, and exactly HOW they are presented.

To arbitrarily constrain science to the natural world is bad science. Students need to learn this. A true open mind accepts that the result of an experiment could be ANYTHING. Even something supernatural. Closing your mind to this possiblity invalidates any experiment you would ever perform. If we want students to learn how to think, we need to make it an issue in every area, including science.

On the other hand, how about we leave philosophy (which is what evolution ultimately is) to the philosphers (and biased scientists who have been spoon fed their whole life), and teach everyone how to play the tuba, instead of that they came from soup. ;-)

Cheers

Doug

Follow Ups: