Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 09, 2002 at 14:30:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by wait a minute . . . on September 09, 2002 at 00:07:39:

Nobody has argued that home schooling is necessarily better than a public school. I believe that most parents would prefer a public school that teaches the material, and those seeking a dodge will find whatever tool is available to find one.

I have no problem with testing to show that a student has learned basic material before granting, say, a diploma or allowing the student to continue with more advanced courses. I do want to see the same test given to the students who have been staring out the window in the classroom, however. If home schoolers have to prove that the material has been learned, then the public schools ought to have to prove it, too.

Of course, most haven't had to do so, and tests that have been proposed seem to always be contested by the NEA and the education establishment. Why would that be? Perhaps some teachers don't want the scrutiny and accountability that the would impose on parents.

We must be careful not to apply a double standard here. I have seen notes written by professional teachers that were unintelligible. I have seen teachers dodge their duty with as much malicious intent as in the anecdote you quote. I'm more concerned about the roadblocks put in the way of conscientious teachers, both professional and parent.

Rick "who thinks these anecdotes, like evolution, run the risk of confusing the debate with irrelevancies" Denney

Follow Ups: