Re: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl Hickman on September 11, 2002 at 12:42:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuba repair toolkit posted by David on September 11, 2002 at 10:34:07:

Why it doesn't bother me that people do their own repairs / Ferree's sells tools to all.

1) I have been in a number of repair shops around the country and most all of them (even the bad one's) have a plethora of work to do. In fact, I get calls on a daily basis from shops around the country looking for more technicians. There simply isn't enough students coming out of the three schools in the US to fill the demand. I have one shop in a very nice location that has been trying for three years to hire someone at a decent salary and there are still no takers. That's why it takes a week to get a water key spring replaced.

2) As I converse about this topic with my colleagues at the college that teach auto mechanics, they all seem to agree that there is no problem with people working on their own cars. They contend that many repairs are out of the reach of most "shade-tree" mechanics and will necessitate their services anyway. Besides, we always joke that when the owner screws it up - we'll just charge them more to fix it correctly. And believe me, it does happen.

3) Sears, Wal-Mart and everyone else sells tools, Should they stop? Ferree's has done a hell of a lot as far as the development of tools for the band instrument repair technician. Need a mandrel with a slightly different curvature than the one they produce? They'll make it for you and usually at the same cost as the mass produced item.

4) There are no standards for band instrument repair technicians, so how would they determine who is a "legitimate" technician? Also from visiting all of these shops, I can tell you that there are some folks out there that I wouldn't let oil my valves, that are passing themselves off as Master Band Instrument Repair Technicians.

5) Recently, an individual on this BBS inquired about getting some bell dents taken out of their Mirafone with the nickel wreath. I offered a few suggestions of shops that wouldn't screw it up. Joe S wondered how a tech could screw it up. I can tell you that I've seen nickel wreaths after repair by "registered repair technicians" that were scratched from plier marks, super-glued down and even removed completely and not replaced. The latter basically turning a Mirafone into a Conn Voca-bell tuba with a razor sharp edge on it.

So I ask this question again: How should Ferree's determine who is a legitamate repair technician?

I have never felt threatened by individuals doing work on their own horns because I knew that I had a level of training and experience that allowed me to have a strong repair business no matter how many people own a set of dent balls. There will always be folks who come to me because they and trust me to work on their horns.

I am always willing to offer repair advice to anyone who needs it. Unlike some, if I don't know the answer, I won't B.S. you. I will however, point you in the direction of a technician who does. Often, it may even be a former student of mine.

Daryl "Who preaches that the technician who thinks he knows everything about repair is the one to avoid" Hickman

Follow Ups: