Re: Re: Re: rotor repair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on September 12, 2002 at 16:42:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: rotor repair posted by Dave on September 12, 2002 at 02:16:03:

You should not do any cutting on the casing as it is really not needed. The rotor itself is the part that is turned on the lathe but only on the ends. Sleeving the rotor is the only time any serious cutting is done on the most outside area of the rotor and when it is turned down it should be done within .0005. As you can see, a good quality, tight lathe is needed along with a set of decent dial indicators. This is where you can lapp the valve into the casing. 1000 grit clover leaf compound is good for the job, just don't over do it . Oh yeah, you must lapp the rotor completely assembled as this will break the bearings on both ends and the valve will fit uniformly. You should make a good fitting arbor to connect the rotor stem/axle to a variable speed drill. I am sorry that what I have posted is a bit vague, I am usualy a bit long winded in my discriptions but it is back to school season and I need to get back to the bench. This kind of work you are attempting is not for the faint of heart. I trust you know what you are doing? Good luck

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com

Follow Ups: