Re: Paper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by eric on September 17, 2002 at 21:54:31:

In Reply to: Paper posted by Matt on September 17, 2002 at 08:14:59:

In order to say that Sheridan is the greatest...... bla bla bla today, you need to have a criteria for qualifying the good-ness of tuba players (I am sorry for butching the English language).
I think to my Survey of Music Lit class, we had an acronym, MADHTTR, standing for Melody, Articulation, Dynamics, Tone, Timbre, Rhythm, and we had to make objective and subjective statements about a piece. But, we had a contect in which to judge.

You have many options! As others have noted you could stay on the side of music and speak of his phrasing, etc.... or, perhaps more effectively, you could talk about his knowledge of economics and marketing. I have never seen Bobo at a football game in a bee suit playing Flight of the bumble bee. He may have, but if he did, I don't remember it, and thus it was not as effective as Sheridan. IF you go this direction you may want to include his lollipops and bon-bon CDs, as he plays tunes that even the non-musicologist and tuba player find appealing (I am thinking of "the swan" or "Serenade from the Student Prince" etc...).

Overall you have picked a very interesting topic

Follow Ups: