Re: The compensation system illustrated

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 22, 2002 at 15:18:45:

In Reply to: The compensation system illustrated posted by Klaus on September 22, 2002 at 11:19:15:

Thanks for the page! It is really nice to see an "official" explanation of how the Blaikley system works. No surprises but at least their explanation is far more elegant than mine.

It isn't all that difficult to explain why it is that some players (like myself) don't ever become comfortable with a 3+1 horn. The fact is, I'm a klutz. Anybody who knows me is aware of this. I constantly drop stuff. I have as much chance of effectively operating the 4th valve with my left hand as I do of winning the Boston Marathon. In any event, it isn't a matter of not understanding how the compensating system works. It is a simple matter of two-handed coordination. Hey, I don't play the piano either. Besides, keeping all the valves on the right hand can be done with success. I did have to work on strengthening my pinkie finger but that didn't take long at all. Having good strength in all your fingers is great for gags at parties. ;-)

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: