Fountains of Rome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 24, 2002 at 10:23:58:

A week or so ago I was reading the post from Mr. Ellis Wean and I went to his sound bytes page and clicked on Fountains. Needless to say, he sounded marvelous. After listening to the sound byte, I put in Gene Pokorny's excert CD and listened to the Fountains of Rome track for about 20 minutes. I was wondering, does this excerpt (when performed for an audition) need to be extremely loud, especially arond the low E's. I know it sounds extremely loud on Pokorny's CD, but is that due to acoustics of that particular recording hall, recording engineers, etc. Would an audition panel pick a tubist who played musically, but extremely loud? Or, would they pick a tubist who played musically, but a little less loud? Also, I heard a recording of Fountains on an information channel on TV and it was the best recording I have ever heard (and I own about 15 different recordings). I heard the entire tuba /bass trombone line. Usually, it gets lost here and there with the rest of the orchestra playing, but on this recording you could hear every single note. The low E's were like thunder. Anyway, sorry to go on so long. Thanks in advance to those who respond (or just read it).

David

Follow Ups: