Re: Fountains of Rome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy on September 24, 2002 at 16:36:48:

In Reply to: Fountains of Rome posted by David on September 24, 2002 at 10:23:58:

I attended a master class conducted by Warren Deck many years ago, and this was his advice regarding dynamics at auditions. Take the list, and figure out what each piece is intended to demonstrate, or what you want to use it to demonstrate, with respect to your playing. He said to try and pick some pieces to play really soft and others to play really loud. For the most part, however, he recommended backing off a little on the really loud parts, and not playing them at the same dynamic one would while playing with the orchestra, but making them big and round. However, he said that it might be OK to take one of the loud pieces, and really get sick on it. That would show the comittee that if they wanted it, extremely loud playing is there for the asking, but that you also use it judiciously.

My two cents is that you should always try and sound great, no matter what the dynamic level. The thing that impresses me the most about Gene's playing on the excerpt CD, is that the quality of sound is the same regardless of the dynamic or register. When he gets louder, it simply sounds like someone is turning up the volume on a really good sterio system. No distortion, just great sound.

Follow Ups: