Re: Re: Opera Parts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 29, 2002 at 22:49:50:

In Reply to: Re: Opera Parts posted by Cimbasso Player on September 29, 2002 at 22:09:49:

This is so true!

I have had the same experience here since I received my cimbasso. It is so much easier to play the opera repertoire in question on the cimbasso instead of the tuba. The tuba sound just isn't the right one for these works, at least no tuba I've ever tried. I was very disappointed earlier this month when I turned on the New Jersey Symphony performance of Verdi's Requiem that was broadcast on PBS. The tuba player (I don't know Pat Landolfi personally but I'm assuming it was him) used a tuba and not a cimbasso. I know Pat has a cimbasso and sounds great on it and I was really excited when I saw the Requiem listed in the TV guide because I really wanted to hear him use his cimbasso on this work. The orchestra sounded great and so did the tuba player but I'm still curious what the sound will be when a cimbasso is used. Perhaps we'll do the work here soon.

In any event, I'm a pretty strong advocate of using the instrument the composer intended when playing the composer's compositions. I guess you could say I'm a tuba chauvinist and a cimbasso chauvinist. I'd agree, as long as both are used on the repertoire they were intended for and well played.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: