Re: Re: Re: Re: lip slurs ascending

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 30, 2002 at 15:19:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: lip slurs ascending posted by js on September 30, 2002 at 14:39:17:

I'd have to say that I agree. Otherwise, how am I doing slurs when I don't use the syllables that Arban advocates, syllables that change the oral cavity shape and size? One of the things I always spend a lot of time on with my students is what they expect to have to do to get the desired results. So many bad habits are formed from the simple mistake of assuming you have to do more whatever (embouchure clenching, oral cavity adjusting, blowing, squirming, etc.) to get the notes to happen. In this case, less is much more. It seems to me, at this point, that this is born out of a desire to control the process. The player believes that they have to do SOMETHING to get these things to happen. As a result, they over-react and do contortions to get the results. The problem is that these contortions aren't natural nor are they good processes fundamentally. They also carry baggage down the road that players may not realize until their music and standards become more challenging. Like Rick Denney has said so many times, don't break the rules until you understand them.

I can't speak to how this works on trumpet because I don't play trumpet. I suspect you may be correct but I'm only guessing. Your observations about the timing are spot on I think. Once you learn to time everything and not make all the gyrations (no teacher can tell you anything to speed this process up because it just takes a lot of time, practice, and patience), you get to wondering why you ever moved around so much in the first place. I know that's how it was for me.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: