Re: Berloiz Requiem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe schmoe on September 05, 2003 at 12:36:16:

In Reply to: Berloiz Requiem posted by Scott Robertson on September 04, 2003 at 15:39:05:

An amazing work –

(this off the top of my head... from what I remember)
It was originally written to be played in a cathedral setting (or to imitate one), with 4 separate brass choirs in addition to the orchestra – one brass choir in each point -- one in the "choir" (geographical back of the cathedral -- behind the altar), one in each transept (R & L) and one in the back of the nave (where you walk in)

If I remember correctly, it is originally scored for something like TEN tubas, but I think it only has 3 different parts at one time and can be played by only 3 players. (2F’s and a C work nice)

The two parts are higher melodic typical Berlioz type and play together quite a bit. The third part a bit is lower and a bit more bombastic. The 2 parts play in 4 or 5 movements and the lower part plays in just one or two and does not sit with the others. The third part is supposed to be played by a pile of tubas in unison, if I remember.
I think there is a solo part too – with the main orchestra, which is usually played by the top player of the set of two, and depending on the setup, that player may have to hoof it.

Anyway, have fun. If the conductor can deal with the logistic and time delay issues, it is a rockin’ work. Bring earplugs!

peace

Follow Ups: