Re: Severe hand pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean E on September 06, 2003 at 09:50:56:

In Reply to: Severe hand pains posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 05, 2003 at 12:11:54:

I agree with others about getting medical help. I'm partial to chiropractors and osteopaths, rather than allopathic physicians, because they (the ones I know of, at least) do not treat the body as though it had zippers, and are interested in complete health, nutrition, and posture.

Aspirin and Tylenol-type painkillers are cheap and good for reducing inflammation and swelling.

Go to a good sports store or department and get an elbow brace and a wrist support (like tennis players and weight lifters use). These will help your body's natural recovery process by reducing stresses on muscles, tendons, and cartilage.

When playing your horn and doing other manual work (including driving, gardening, and keyboarding), take breaks every 30-60 minutes to stretch your neck, shoulders, upper and lower arms, wrists, and fingers and thumbs. Isometrics are good, in addition to stretching.

Light weight training and swimming will improve overall arm, wrist, and hand strength, flexibility, and endurance, thereby helping to avoid injuries and pains.

Finally, there may be the overlooked malady of Temporo-Mandibular Joint (TMJ) distress, which, by muscular compensation, possibly could work down the spine to the hands. There are a few jointly licensed dentist/chiropractors who know how to diagnose and treat TMJ pain.

For a quick reference, see the Musicians' Health page of The Greater Boston Flute Association (no affiliation):
http://www.gbfa.org/health.html

Follow Ups: