Re: Long Tones/Age

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MikeBrooke on September 17, 2003 at 05:30:23:

In Reply to: Long Tones/Age posted by Chuck Jackson on September 16, 2003 at 23:08:04:

I think the gerontologist is off base on a few issues.

First, weightlifting, done correctly, includes plenty of stretching. It also has the advantage of helping to prevent loss of lean muscle tissue. Having an older person perform only flexibilty exercises is ridiculous. However, as we get older, it does take longer to recuperate from exercise.

With regard to playing a brass instrument, I do not think of long tones as "muscle builders." Long tones are primarily used to improve air flow, so that you develope a nice, full sound. Flexibilty and range exercises would be more related to weightlifting, since your are dynamically varying the contraction of the lips.

Furthermore, I do not think that the warm-up for playing and the warm-up for exercise serve the same purpose. The purpose for warming up before exercise is generally to increase the temperature of the muscle, which improves the elasticity of the muscle. This is accomplished by increasing the flow of blood to the muscle. The warm up also serves a time to practice the appropriate motor skills, before the exertion becomes more strenuous. Warming up for a brass player, is different. The muscles of the embouchure already have a tremendous blood supply, so it is doubtful that the warm up increases the blood supply by very much. The warm up does give the player the chance become accustomed to the feel of the mouthpiece and to improve the flow of air.

In my opinion, performing the Clarke study as described would not allow the player to achieve the proper flow of air, which should be the focus of the warm up.

Finally, I think it is beneficial to play long tone pedal notes at the end of practice to help relax the embouchure.

Mike

Follow Ups: