Re: Re: Long Tones/Age

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 17, 2003 at 17:32:35:

In Reply to: Re: Long Tones/Age posted by MikeBrooke on September 17, 2003 at 05:30:23:

I tell my friend, actually my brother-in-law, how you feel. He will have a heartly disagreement over the weight lifting portion. He opines that weightlifting too much throughout life can cripple you in your later life because of the constant barrage of contractions and their effect on the cartilage, tendons, and joints. Mind you, I am not the subject matter expert, just the messenger. He is a well repsected Gerontologist in the Mid-West who has made extensive study of how bodies age and how keeping the muscles, tendons, and cartilage supple can make it easier for us older folks to get around. We both thought there was an interesting collary to brass playing.

I never questioned the air flow requirements of long tones, but the static pressure on muscles. They are basically isometric exercises that lock in a certain frequency of sound through static muscle tension. I find this questionable, likening it to holding a 20 pound weight in one position for, let say, 5 minutes. Try it and see what I mean.

Thanks,

Chuck

Follow Ups: