Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 17, 2003 at 18:51:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, wet my knickers...!!! posted by pffelps says pfft on September 17, 2003 at 10:56:38:

Hear, hear!

I use gig bags. I'm careful. So far, I have no dents that I didn't start with, and that's been my approach for, oh, a dozen years at least. The last gig-bagged horn I owned that collected dents under my care was a Cerveny, and it will collect dents even when locked in that vault.

Dents can be removed. But it is just not practical to carry a large tuba through a school to a community band practice. I envy my old teacher (hi, Mike) who has a Yorkbrunner at "work" and another at home so he doesn't have to do the schlep. He has an Anvil case, and it's plenty strong, but then he has orchestra roadies to move it for him.

I have also a bit of experience with the large Walt Johnson case, and only curved corners make it easier to manage than an Anvil. Flight case, yes. Daily user? Not without two native bearers.

On the other hand, my Yamaha F tuba lives in a hard case, and it has a couple of dents. That's from when I was playing the fool thing.

I don't expect a gig bag to provide protection. All I'm looking for is a convenient handle.

Rick "who has a bad back" Denney

Follow Ups: