Re: Re: Scanning Accuracy - one data point (long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 22, 2003 at 15:13:36:

In Reply to: Re: Scanning Accuracy - one data point (long posted by Ian Easton on September 22, 2003 at 07:40:02:

Actually I had thought of this (I'm a "member" of Classical Archive)

But this isn't a complete answer because you're always at the mercy of the sequencer of the piece. I've seen MIDI's that were quite faithful to the original parts, and MIDI's that bore next to no resemblance to the originals (even though they played back reasonably well)

I think in sequencing MID there are a lot of ways to skin a particular cat, some of which are quite useful for us "would be scanners" and some which are not.

I did finish cleaning up the time values and notes in Smart Score, and as I thought it took about 15 minutes.

Now I'm sort of where I'd be with a good MIDI, ie at the point of going through in either Sibelius or Finale and putting in the ties, dynamics, slurs, accents, etc.

It will probably take me a longish time because I'm also using this "project" to learn Finale.

By the way, Finale and Sibelius each gave quite different interpretations of the download from the Classical Archives, so there seem to be even more variables to contend with.

I think, overall, that step time entry with a MIDI keyboard for each part is the way to go, although the piano part would give fits to anyone who isn't an accomplished pianist. Fortunately for us folks who just want to transcribe for a different instrumental combination, the piano part can be left alone.

All I'm trying to do with this one is get it set for Piano, Tuba, and Clarinet in Bb. I could actually (since it's in Eb) basically read from the original horn part, but I made up a clean part anyhow. And the clarinetist said she could rewrite the violin part by hand or mark up the original - she's played from violin parts before but she can't sight read it so quickly for something this tricky.

By the way, once I get it finished I'd be happy to make the parts available to anyone who wants them.

Follow Ups: