Re: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on April 05, 1999 at 14:18:31:

In Reply to: Orchestral sounding BBb tuba posted by Jacob on April 05, 1999 at 10:04:40:

I've not played a lot of BBb tubas lately but these are educated guesses based on descriptions I've read and my experience with the sound concepts generally associated with a given manufacturer. For the record: I'm interpreting your question to read 'What BBb would play with a sound similar to the kinds of CC tubas many orchestral tubists use?' I tend to think lightness is more an aspect of the player than the horn. If this is an incorrect interpretation of your question then feel free to ignore what I have to say. Ultimately, you would do well to listen to lots of good orchestral tubists and then play lots of horns and form your own opinions. Again, I don't play BBb often and these are merely guesses to guide your search. I'm sure others will have more direct experience to add to this.
Potential orchestral BBb tubas:
Rodolph Meinl Model B45-4S, B&S Perantucci PT-1 and PT-2, Walter Nirschl WN-15, Willson Model 3100, Cerveny Model 693-4MR, and perhaps the Hirsbrunner HB-4P. I can't help but think that Meinl Weston and Miraphone also fill this gap in a BBb form but if they exist I don't know a model number.
Good luck and enjoy life!
joseph

Follow Ups: