Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Db Piccolos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on April 09, 2001 at 08:49:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Db Piccolos? posted by Norm Pearson on April 09, 2001 at 02:01:58:

Mr Pearson,
I was wondering about the G Horn you speak of. Is it a G Tuba a step up from an F Tuba or a GG Tuba that is two steps below a BBb Tuba? In either case both pitch horns have been around for a very long time in the Marching version made by various Brand name makers. I have yet to see a GG Tuba that was designed to be in GG that wasn't just an extended version of a BBb horn. The Kanstal line of horns were the closest thing I have ever seen that were actually designed to be GG horns. I have played on various G horns since the age of 10 and for all that time my favorite version of GG horn was a Ultra tone Contra made by Olds in Fullerton, Ca. back in the seventies. I have put my Mirafone 186 BBb next to it for comparison and the two horns seem to share a similar taper except for the added cylindrical tubing to the Olds to get it pitched in GG. I always wondered if Mirafone would get into the Bugle buisness, while most just made BBb marching versions. It is fairly easy to get a horn pitched in GG or a Euph pitched in G from Kanstal DEG or Yamaha. Since the rule change in DC allowing non G horns, over time G horns may become beasts of the past. In 92 I had a repaiman freind make me a GG main tuning slide for my mirafone so I could practice at home and it presented many intonation challenges. Sorry to bother you with the DC references but I allways thought that Mirafone and MW have had a big part in the developement of the G line of horns that are used today. Thank you for your perspective on this matter.

Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: