Re: Military musicians in wartime

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on April 24, 2001 at 19:41:31:

In Reply to: Military musicians in wartime posted by Curr E. Uss on April 24, 2001 at 11:17:22:

Curr E. Uss,
A most interesting thread. U.S. military bands could do all that, and more. Whilst the Premier Bands of the various services would have duty that primarily would be supporting the public affairs mission of their headquarters, other Bands have other missions. Army Major Command Bands (MACOM Bands), Air Force and Navy Bands also stick really close to their musical mission, but Army and Marine Division Bands are out there with their Combat Division, providing ceremonial and morale support commitments. This sometimes involves going in harm's way, and the people tasked to do so are also adequately trained to defend themselves. I've played tuba professionally for over 22 years, but I've also trained on the M-16 rifle, the M-60 machine gun, and with hand grenades and mines. The Department of Defense will not place you in a position of danger without providing training, in my experience.
I don't think we need to get worried about China - at least, not yet. However, if your life is not as exciting as you'd like, and you are a good tuba player, come and see the world - I'm retiring, and the Army needs someone to take my place!
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: