Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by reality check on April 29, 2001 at 00:15:33:

In Reply to: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN! posted by Fact is... on April 28, 2001 at 13:34:55:

I'm beginning to wonder if the tuba-euphonium thing might be just a little boring. How
much truly exciting stuff can we expect to find in our journal? I'm not a frustrated spectator; I do play for a living, and I genuinely love music. But I'm not sure I love tuba and euph. Fact is, we really don't have much fantastic literature, an abundance of compelling personalities, or an amazing history. We blow air through metal and hope for the best. I think all art is interesting in some capacity, but the world of tuba-euphonium is just not terribly captivating in my view. As far as the jornal goes, I have to say thatI think a lot of what gets published comes from current and would-be profs who frankly need to be able to say that they publish something, somewhere. It's an academic reqirement. And right now the journal is the only outlet available. A lot of the stuff I read is decent, some of it excellent, but really most of it doesn't intrest me greatly. Honestly, I am not sure any professional journal is bound to be incredibly interesting. I don't subscribe to any others, but having parused several I didn't see anything drastically different from our own. Of course it would be nice if ours kept more current (I too am tired of reading expired ads and the like) but do we really expect any professional journal to be a page turner? I think the most we can hope for is something high quality that is a good resource. Look for inspiration and fascination elsewhere.

Follow Ups: