Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome CDs and Yorkbrunner for Sale!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 10, 2003 at 19:42:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome CDs and Yorkbrunner for Sale! posted by David on April 10, 2003 at 17:40:57:

If tubas are a declining market (as suggested elsewhere), one reason might be their soaring prices, especially for the examples in question. When prices are markedly different in two markets, either the markets should be different or there's something artificial creating that difference.

If Hirsbrunners are as good as they are supposed to be, then a lower price to consumers would mean that more of them would be sold, which would be more money in Peter's pocket and more work for his workforce. The only person who would lose is Fred, but even he might recover in volume what he's lost in quantity. To remain competitive, he should have to justify his price with added service, not with threats of lawsuits over exclusivity deals, don't you think?

And having new Hirsbrunners on the sales floors of other dealers would certainly do those folks and their workers some good, too.

Of course, if Hirsbrunners aren't quite as stellar as their price suggests they should be, then maybe they can't sustain sales at a higher volume. If you can only make a few of something, then anyone who owns a business will want to sell those items to the richest few buyers. And sometimes you can create the image of Rolls-Royce quality with a Rolls-Royce price.

The two Yorkbrunners I've played were both phenomenal instruments, and you can't always put a price on that. Thus, I don't think those who are compelled to pay those prices are foolish--we all will spend as much as we can possibly afford when the magic happens. But it would be nice if the market were allowed to establish the true value, so that more people who just can't afford them might be given a crack at them.

I'd be quite happy if it turned out that Yorkbrunners are already competitively priced in the U.S. market, considering their popularity and demand here. Without the competition, though, there's no way to know.

In looking beyond the exclusivity arrangement concerning Hirsbrunner's, though, one finds dealers who are doing about as well as can be expected in current conditions and considering the spotty and volatile market for tubas (and for tuba players, for that matter). Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass, the Brasswind, and Low Brass Werks are all selling instruments that are not exclusively imported. I can't find any evidence that the exclusive arrangement on Hirsbrunners has created more wealth for anybody. And the one possible exception seems to me not the one I'd expect to show enthusiasm for change.

Rick "who can think of only one person who even possibly benefits from the current arrangement" Denney

Follow Ups: