Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome CDs and Yorkbrunner for Sale!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on April 10, 2003 at 20:42:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome CDs and Yorkbrunner for Sale! posted by Rick Denney on April 10, 2003 at 19:42:53:

Another factor that you haven't considered is whether there is any potential ability to increase production.

My guess is that Mr. Hirsbrunner is making about as many instruments as he can. He can always hire more people, but perhaps all that any new hires (if indeed anyone is available for hire in his town) would be able to do for the next few years without extremely heavy supervision is sweep up and take phone messages.

My own skills involve taking things like stuff Mr. Hirsbrunner manufactures and make them work again after they've been destroyed - or turn them inside out - or make them play sideways - or whatever some nut wants me to make them do. I turn away potential customers every day, due to the fact that there is far too much to do and far too little time in which to do it all. People ask out of ignorance, "Why don't you hire some more people?" My reply is always, "You can start working here tomorrow, if you promise to stay out of the way, and after a couple of years if I think you're doing any good I'll pay your accordingly. In the meantime, if you do a good job of cleaning up and taking care of the grunt work, I'll wave your $10,000/year training fee [or more - as charged by repair schools]."

The United States is surely Mr. Hirsbrunner's largest market. The U.S is clearly where the money is. Quite a few years ago (surely due to success in increased production capacities and a realization that a larger U.S. market could be developed with more competitive pricing) Mirafone/Miraphone discontinued their exclusive deal with the old California/later-Texas importer. As a result (adjusted for inflation) Miraphone tuba prices have dropped drastically and Miraphone instruments are all over the place. In fact, their pricing is so good and their production is so prolific that some people (the snob-appeal syndrome) avoid considering them for purchase simply because they are so "available".

As far as Mr. Hirsbrunner is concerned (with his probable limited production capabilites), I'm sure that he never agreed to a "lifetime" agreement with Mr. Fred up in Michigan, and I believe that Mr. Hirsbrunner continues to abide by that exclusive agreement only because Mr. Fred continues to sell all of the tubas that Mr. Hirsbrunner can possibly produce for the U.S. market.

The same is surely true (though their production capacity is obviously quite large) for Mr. What's-his-who over in Carolina with the nickel-coated Russian tubas. The Ruskies aren't interested in opening up any more U.S. dealers because What's-his-who is dumping all they can possibly produce for the U.S. market.

Follow Ups: